Oct 16, 2007

Where are my shows?

Sohrab sephri is my favorite Iranian poet. His poems are full of light, love and life. There is a trace of nature in all his life which is reflected in all his poems, too. The 7th of October was his birthday and I gift a translation of one of the most beautiful one to you. Hope to enjoy it much!

Where are my shoes?
Who was it who called Sohrab?

It was a familiar voice


like the touch of the wind on the leave.
My mother is asleep
so are Manouchehr and Parvaneh*
and perhaps all the townsfolk.

The June night passes gently over seconds like an elegy,
And a cool breeze from the corner of the blanket sweeps my sleep.
It smells of separation:
My pillow is full of the song of the swallow plumes.

Morning shall break,
The sky will migrate
Into this cup of water.

I must go tonight!
I who spoke to the folk in this region through the widest window,
Never heard a word that matched time;
No loving eye stared at the ground;
Nobody was enchanted by looking at the garden,
Nobody took a magpie seriously at a farm.

I am dejected like a cloud.
When I behold Houri -
the neighbor's full grown lass -
Studying theology
At the foot of the rarest elm tree on earth.

There are other things also -
moments of exaltation
(For example I saw a poetess
So absorbed watching the horizon
That the sky laid eggs in her eyes;
And one night out of other nights,
A man questioned me:
"How long does it take to the rising of grapes?)

Tonight I must go!
I must take a suitcase
Big enough to contain my shirt of loneliness
And walk in a direction
Where epic-singing trees can be seen;
Towards the vast wordless expanse
which keeps calling me.

Someone called me again: Sohrab!,
Where are my shoes?




Taken from

2 comments:

littleprince said...

Hi! Dear Zahra
what a beautiful blog you made!
your poems are delightful and show your great faith on Birth of Hope.
best wishes!

Anonymous said...

in the first stsnza the first line you have written "shows" instead of "shoes"....
that was interesting for me to see an iranain student to have a web in english language....
Good Luck anyway...